Here are some great ways to promote a healthier lifestyle for you and your family:
1. Total Wellness - Think of each new day as a great chance to start fresh and get yourself motivated. One small new thing you can do each day toward a healthier lifestyle can result in a big change!
2. Relax and Laugh a Little - Studies show that stress can have a big impact on your overall well being and can cause premature aging and unwanted health problems. Laughing can be a great way to overcome stress and help you enjoy yourself more.
3. Eat Well - Eating a balanced diet filled with fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein can give you more energy throughout your day. Incorporating plenty of fluids and vitamins in your diet will also give your body a younger feel.
4. Exercise - I know everyone is busy these days but take some time for yourself and exercise a little. You don't have to hit the gym to get exercise either. Try walking more, joining a pilates class, renting a fitness video, even stretching for 5-10 minutes a day. Starting small can get you going for more high impact activities in the long run.
5. Pamper Yourself - It is important to give your body some down time. Draw a bath, light some candles, and play some relaxing music once in a while. Try winding down your day with a book or crossword in bed, and invest in some soothing scents such as lavender. Place a dab on your pillow case to promote relaxation and a restful sleep.
6. Bad Habits - Everyone has them but it is important to assess your lifestyle and see where you can incorporate some healthier ways to live in your day. It can be as small as turning off the TV early one night and doing something together as a family such as a board game, promoting healthy eating habits such as sitting together as a family for dinner and not eating too late. Even keeping healthier snacks in the fridge to resist the tempting snack foods. Try cutting up carrot sticks, cucumber slices, and celery and keeping them in a container in the fridge for easy access when your hungry.
7. Read Food Labels - This is a great way to ensure you and your family are eating properly. Avoid food additives such as MSG and overly processed foods with simple sugars and preservatives such as hydrogenated vegetable oil.
8. Everything in Moderation - This is a motto which I live by. If you want to have that glass of wine or piece of chocolate, enjoy, just remember to keep everything in moderation. A chocolate bar once a day isn't exactly moderation!
I hope these tips can help you enjoy a healthier lifestyle each day!
Human Nutritional Sciences Student, Pilates Instructor and Dance Teacher